CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 8, 2007

A Jaunt down to the Windy City

Well, despite having millions (ok, maybe more like hundreds) of feminism-related topics on my mind, I thought that I would start out with a relatively light-hearted post, since I highly doubt that I have any readers yet. But, in case I do, and if you happen to be anywhere near the Windy City, I urge you to take a trip down there and check out the musical Jersey Boys.

I had to be in Chicago for a business trip anyway, so when my mom told me that she'd be in town visiting her sister and asked if I wanted to see Jersey Boys, I figured, why not? I've always enjoyed musicals; let's give this one a whirl.

Our night began at a cozy little restaurant called The Village. It's been around for 80 years or so, and it doesn't appear to have changed a bit. The atmosphere is eclectic, and it seemed to draw in a wide variety of people. On top of that, the food was excellent (my recommendation: the mostaccioli with baked cheese and meat sauce), so what more could one ask for?

After we paid our bill, we headed over to the La Salle Bank Theatre, where the musical would be showing. (Luckily, it was in walking distance of the restaurant, so this would be a definite bonus if you were headed there in the winter!) I had no idea that the musical was about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons until I saw the program, but I figured, I knew some of their music, so this will be good, right?

It wasn't good. It was amazing. The energy, the acting, the exuberance (not to mention the Jersey accents) was beyond almost anything I had ever seen. The actors, portraying these four blue collar boys from New Jersey, captivated the audience. They caused riotous laughter, and even elicited a few tears. The musical was fast-paced, and even I (a child of the 90s, who worships Kurt Cobain and the entire grunge era) found myself swept up in the music and culture of the 50s and 60s. I didn't want it to end, but when it did, I (along with the rest of the audience) gave these young men and women a standing ovation.

So, if you're in Chicago anytime soon, try and get tickets. It's definitely worth it!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. Thanks! I'll have to check it out. Chicago's not too far away!