CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 11, 2007

And They Say Women Are More Domestic....

Tonight, Dan and I decided to make corned beef in the crockpot, and I thought I'd make some Pillsbury crescent rolls to go along with it. It seemed easy enough; the instructions said to just roll into crescent shapes and place on the baking sheet. So the dough drops out of the tube, and I didn't even think to unroll it! I just started to rip it apart where it looked like there were perforated lines. But somehow, it didn't work out, and I couldn't think how on earth I was supposed to shape it into crescent shapes, so I called up to Dan, "Come help me!"

He came down and just started laughing when he saw what I had done. He said, "Honey, you have to unroll the dough first, before rolling it into crescent rolls." Hmm, well, how was I supposed to know that? It didn't say anything about unrolling it. Sigh. I really am an intelligent person, I swear! But somehow I can't even make pre-made Pillsbury crescent rolls. But Dan stepped in like a pro, like he does with 85% of our cooking (I must say, though, that I am pretty darn good at making the remaining 15%!) But somehow cooking is deemed a woman's job? Not in our house, it's not! Cooking is definitely not some inherent talent I possess just because I have XX chromosomes! Meanwhile, Dan (along with many other males I know) happen to excel at it! So, in light of personal experience, I must insist that cooking and many other "domestic" talents (while certainly worthy pursuits!) are not talents that are inherent to the female sex. On the contrary, it depends on the individual, not the gender. And in our house, it definitely Dan that possesses this talent, and oh, how grateful I am!

0 comments: