CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 14, 2008

Man Allegedly Kills Daughter because He Wanted A Son

What the hell? Are you serious? Are we in the time of the Neanderthals? A man allegedly kills his four-month old daughter because he wanted a son. Ridiculous.

Aside from the fact that any crime against children is just utterly horrific, this one confuses me to no end. What, exactly, is so much different about a daughter as compared to a son? She has an XX chromosome, of course, while a son would have XY. She has a uterus and a vagina, while a son would have a penis. Other than that.... well, I'm honestly not sure.

Did he want a son to play sports? News flash, sir: female athletes are almost as prominent in the sports world as their male counterparts. Athletics is no longer a "males only" arena.

Did he want a son to carry on the family name? A son carrying on a family name is just a social custom; it could as easily have been the tradition that a woman carries on her family's name.
There's nothing inherent about that custom that is dependent on a person's gender; it's all social construction.

I'm sitting here trying to wrap my mind around this crime. I cannot imagine, no matter HOW badly you wanted one gender, to kill an innocent child simply because they were the "wrong" gender. And I'd really like to know, in his twisted mind, what exactly it is about girls that is so "wrong." I knew sexism and patriarchy still ran deep in our country; sadly, I didn't realize it still ran this deep.

3 comments:

John Das Binky said...

One depressing, silver lining view: Imagine being RAISED by this guy...

I don't know whether it's worse to live a live of abuse or die young. Neither is particularly appealing. RIP to the kid.

And just as disturbing as the crime, was that there was a woman who decided to breed with this guy and then raise a child with him.

And hasn't dude ever heard of adoption?

The whole thing is just creepy as hell.

Anonymous said...

why don't you ever cover any of the women who kill their babies, and focus on the rare man?
it seems kind of hypocritical to me.

Amanda said...

Anonymous,
When I come across a story of a woman killing her children (and unfortunately, they are out there), I will most definitely comment on it. I've only been blogging for a couple months, and I haven't come across any stories of women killing their children in that time.

However, when I commented on the Baby Grace case, I blamed the mother just as much as her husband, for allowing him to beat her child to death. In my mind, she is just as responsible for her child's death as he is, and I had no qualms about saying so.

In short, I condemn ANYONE who harms a child. It just so happens that in the few short months I've been blogging, I've only come across cases where the men were responsible.

And regardless of whether or not I do only focus on the men (which is certainly not my intention), the fact is that this IS a horrific crime, and it should be brought to light that there are still individuals who have such a warped view of females and their worth.