CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The 35th Anniversary of Roe v. Wade

Well, here we are, 35 years after Roe v. Wade was passed. As I pause to reflect on this occasion, several thoughts come to mind, so forgive me as I try to sort them out somewhat coherently.

First of all, abortion rates have hit a 34-year low (see my post here), and I personally am thrilled. "What's that, you say?" the conservatives ask in amazement. "I thought you liberal feminists were pro-abortion." Nope, many of us are simply pro-choice and hold the ideology that a woman has the right to determine when (or if) to carry a pregnancy to term. That doesn't mean that we are pro-abortion; it just means we don't believe the government has a say in what a woman does with her body. That being said, I am thrilled if abortion rates have a hit an all-time low if it's because of better access to birth control. I can think of nothing more wonderful than if every pregnancy was a wanted one, and abortion became nearly obsolete (that doesn't mean I think it should ever be illegal however; in the words of Bill Clinton, I think abortion should remain safe, legal, and rare.) So I think this is a definite plus for both the pro-choicers and the anti-choicers.

Secondly, I have to wonder how all these pro-"lifers" who want any and all abortion to be outlawed (with the rare exception of danger to the mother) really care about all life. I think of the woman who, if she really needs or desires an abortion, will have no other option except to do a back-alley abortion, where she could very well die because of infection. Just because abortion is illegal doesn't mean that they won't happen; the women who have them will just be at greater risk for death or sterility. But yet no one seems to care about the "life" of the women; it's only the "life" of an eight week old fetus that they seem to respect. Seems a bit hypocritical, don't you think? Is this a commentary on how our society still views women; as breeding machines whose only purpose is to bring children into the world, at their expense? Don't get me wrong; I think motherhood is amazing, and I can't wait to experience it. But I firmly disagree that the government (and pro-lifers) should have any say in when and if women choose to experience this gift.

Thirdly, we need to continue educating our teenagers on the physical, spiritual and emotional consequences of sex, and provide contraceptives for those that become sexually active. Hopefully then the abortion rate will continue to drop.

I hope that in another 35 years, abortion will literally be non-existent, but not because Roe v. Wade is overturned; instead, because men and women express their sexuality responsibly and plan their pregnancies accordingly. That will be a true milestone.

0 comments: