CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Do I Dare???

Well, Lent is coming up, and a bunch of people around the office are talking about what they're giving up. It made me wonder if perhaps I, too, should abstain from something for the next 40 days, and I decided that it might not be the worst thing in the world. Now, I'm not religious at all, so Lent doesn't really have any spiritual meaning for me, per se, but I figure, why the heck not?

So, what is it that I'm going to give up? My beloved beer... my New Glarus Spotted Cow, which is, hands down, the best beer in the entire world. See, normally I'm not a beer fan. Give me a good Lambrusco or a vodka cranberry any day. But I am lucky enough to live in Wisconsin, which is known for their to-die-for beers, and Spotted Cow is la creme de la creme.

So, HOW do I give it up for the next 40 days without going into withdrawals? (Now, lest my dear readers--all 2 of you! ;)--worry that I'm an alkie, never fear. I could have an entire liquor cabinet stocked full of the top-shelf brands, and I wouldn't touch it for weeks or months on end. No, it's not the alcohol itself; it's the whole Spotted Cow experience.)

So, we'll see how my quest goes. It's only 40 days, right? And this will definitely help with my weight loss, since when I imbibe, I want to order pizza, which, sadly, isn't on anyone's list of health foods. Yes, this will be a good thing. I won't think of it as depriving myself; I'll think of it as doing something good for myself. All right. It's settled. I'm giving up Spotted Cow for Lent.

But you can be sure that Dan and I are going to go all out tonight, as a last "hurrah!" And isn't that what Mardi Gras is all about?

5 comments:

John Das Binky said...

If you stop drinking beer, the terrorists win.

At least, that's my working theory, says John, who went through most of a six-pack of Spotted Cow during the Superbowl.

Amanda said...

Hmmm, that's true; mustn't let terrorists win! ;) And I, too, went through most of a 6 pack during the Super Bowl. Ahh, it was delightful!

Anonymous said...

But...why? Why give up something so wonderful, so fulfilling, so lagerific?

I'm an Atheist, but I'll go ahead and give up liver for Lent. Ya, I'll keep the beer (good Canadian beer, eh) and give up liver.

Amanda said...

LOL, kootnygirl! You make some excellent points! ;) *sigh* It's mainly for weight loss reasons... and this way, there is an end in sight!

Although I do believe it would be much easier to give up liver! Hmmm, something to ponder! ;)

Lyns said...

Now--Amanda--I do have to agree with John--you know I don't imbibe BUT for those of you that do--giving up something that is as good as you claim is just plain wrong. I too vote for giving up liver or haggis.